Green Recognition for Offices & Workspaces (GROW)
About the Program
The mission of the Green Recognition of Offices and Workspaces (GROW) at the University of Florida is to encourage and promote sustainable practices among university faculty and staff. The program supports and promotes offices that are taking steps toward reducing their environmental footprint.
The University of Florida has committed to Carbon Neutrality by 2025, and has also committed to Zero Waste. In response to these goals and to respond to individuals’ wishes to be more environmentally sustainable at work, we have created the GROW program to support offices and departments in their efforts towards a more sustainable future. Additionally, through the GROW program, we are able to work directly with offices and departments on issues most relevant to their needs and provide targeted resources and advice.
What is an Office?
An office is a work area (administrative, academic or service) that shares common areas and resources. It may include just one or all of the offices within a unit or division. You may have an office of 6 people or 60 people — we do require, however, a minimum of 3 people participating. Please include part-time and full-time staff, students (including interns) and faculty. Your office should include kitchens, meeting rooms, storage rooms and other commonly shared areas.
What is the Process?
Step 1: Commit
- Ensure that your leadership will approve time required for the GROW program. We estimate time to be less than 30 minutes per person for the application, a 1-hour site visit, and a follow-up 30 minute meeting to review our recommendations
- Ensure that at least 50% of your office is willing to participate
- Choose a “Green Champion” for your office to complete this initial survey and to be our main point of contact for coordinating the walk-through and interview
Step 2: Assess
- Once the initial survey is completed, we will send a link to a survey for everyone in the office to complete
- After at least 50% of your office has returned the survey, we will schedule an interview and site visit at a mutually agreeable time
Step 3: Implement
- After the interview and site visit, we will provide your office with a report that includes your score and suggestions that your office may want to implement.