12 Days of Sustainable Gift-Giving
Sustainable Gift Giving Guide by SustainableUF
Tis’ the season of gift giving and spending time with your loved ones. This holiday season is a great opportunity to help reduce waste, support local businesses and your community! We have compiled a list of ideas to help inspire a more sustainable holiday season.
1. For the bookworm
- DIY bookmarks from materials around you or draw something and cut it out. Every time they pick up their book they’ll think of you!
- Giving away books you’ve read you think they’ll enjoy or send them an audiobook!
2. For the plant parent
- Purchase plants from local nurseries or plant shops, in Gainesville checkout Garden Gate Nursery and GROW Hub.
- Create a DIY plant project by using plant cuttings from your garden
- Pick up some seeds from a local seed library.
3. For the foodie
- Gift local foods from the farmers market like honey, jams and sauces.
- Gift an experience with a virtual cooking class or a gift card to their favorite local restaurant.
- Bake their favorite dessert or cook their favorite dish!
4. For the adventurer
- Experiences instead of material gifts, check out Airbnb Experience for local ideas.
- Memberships to places like museums, botanical gardens or a national park pass.
5. Support your local community
- Virtual gift card from a local business in your area.
- Visit a local farmer’s market and create themed baskets filled with local products (ie. jars of honey, coffee, etc)
- Make a donation in someone’s name to a local organization.
6. Be conscious with your gift giving
- Before buying from a service like Amazon or department store, look for the items locally to support local makers and find a unique gift.
- Research the company before purchasing to learn more about their sustainability initiatives.
- Purchase gifts that give back. Many organizations donate a portion of profits to causes and foundations.
7. Make a donation in someone’s name
- Find a cause they care about and make donation in their name.
- Find local nonprofits to support a cause close to home.
- Consider national organizations for far-reaching impact.
8. Support diverse, women-owned and BIPOC-owned vendors
- Check if your city has a resource for finding diverse vendors near you, like this resource for Gainesville minority-owned businesses.
- Use resources like WeBuyBlack to find black-owned vendors.
- Search engines are your friend! Look for women/black/POC/Indigenous vendors for specific items or gift ideas.
9. Sustainable Gift Wrapping
- Wrap your presents in newspaper, cloth, reused paper grocery bags, or reusable durable bags.
- Wrap your gift in a gift! Decorating gifts with practical items such as scarves, scrunchies, etc. are an extra gift for the recipient.
- Reuse containers/jars to make gift boxes for a homemade holiday treat.
10. Thrifty Gifts
- Visit antique shops to find unique items with a story.
- Shop secondhand for creative clothes and gifts at places like the Repurpose Project.
- Look for gifts with repurposed/upcycled materials such as Redefined Goods or check out @ThriftClubUF for more ideas.
11. D.I.Y. Gifts
- Create self-care items like candles, soap and scrubs.
- Upcycle materials for creative gifts.
- Check out the Pinterest board in our bio for more D.I.Y. ideas!
12. Virtual Gifts
- Create a home video message for your loved ones.
- Curate a personalized playlist.
- Check out e-card options like Kudoboard.
Inspired by one of these ideas for sustainable gift-giving or have an idea to add? Reach out to us on social media @SustainableUF (Twitter/FB/IG) and let us know! Happy sustainable gift-giving!