Green Gator Graduation Cord Challenge
The Green Gator Graduation Cord Challenge is a program run by Gators Going Green at the University of Florida. Students who successfully earn at least 10 points and complete the required application form will be eligible to receive a green cord to wear during the commencement ceremony. For specific questions about the challenge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and CC email@example.com.
The application period for Fall 2018 is closed. Please check back in spring for details about the application period for Spring 2019 graduates.
How the Challenge Works:
- 10 points are required to receive a green graduation cord
- Points earned for “sustainability-related courses” cannot be combined with points earned for Sustainability Majors or Minors
- Points can be earned throughout all undergraduate years of study at the University of Florida
- For more information on events and their respective dates, “Like” Gators Going Green and Sustainable UF on Facebook. These pages will post the event calendar at the beginning of each month!
- If you participated in an event, activity, or initiative that is not included in this point system that you believe should be worth points towards your cord, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and CC email@example.com with your request. Be sure to include information about the event, initiative, or activity, and Gators Going Green will review it for the possibility of being awarded points.
- Volunteer at a sustainability-related event/through a sustainability organization (up to 3 points)
- Attend a sustainability conference
- Write a sustainability-related article that is published in the Alligator, Sun, WUFT, etc.
- Volunteer at a large (minimum of 50 attendees) event that is green-certified by Sustainable UF (up to 2 points)
- Enroll in a sustainability-focused course (one point only)
- Participate in a 5-day sustainability-related alternative break experience
- Serve as an IRHA Eco-Rep for at least one semester
- Present at an on-campus sustainability conference
- Serve as an officer of a sustainability-related organization
- Complete a sustainability-focused internship or externship for at least one semester
- Serve as a member of the Joint Sustainability Committee
- Undergraduate research in a sustainability-related field
- Present at an off-campus sustainability-related conference
- Complete a sustainability-related minor
- Participate in a 5-6 week sustainability immersion experience (study abroad or comparable)
- Earn a Champions For Change Award
- Complete a sustainability-related major