The TailGator Green Team is a volunteer-based recycling program coordinated by the UF Office of Sustainability, in partnership with Pepsi and Physical Plant Solid Waste Management, that aims to educate and encourage tailgating football fans to recycle and do so properly. Check out this video to learn more!
Since the program began in 2006, over 350,000 pounds of recyclable aluminum, glass, and plastic have been diverted from UF’s waste stream.
Volunteering with the Green Team:
- Volunteers work in teams of two to four for a 2-hour shift.
- For shifts throughout the day, volunteers are given blue recycling bags and assigned to high-traffic tailgating areas on campus where they distribute the bags to fans, along with instructions on what is and is not recyclable.
- Volunteers may also choose to hand collect recyclables if they see any in the trash.
- In the final shift before the game, volunteers work solely around the stadium, sorting recyclables into bins as fans make their way inside.
How to Volunteer
Whether volunteering as a student organization, as a group of friends, or as individual, we ask that please provide the following by 8pm the Thursday before the desired game:
- Name or the organization (if applicable)
- Number of volunteers
- Volunteers’ names
- Requested shifts
Please report on time for your confirmed shift! Volunteers should report to the green folding tent outside of O’Connell Center, near Gate 2. Coordinators will be wearing Green Team t-shirts. When you get to the tent you will sign-in and coordinators will review accepted items for recycling and safety procedures. From there, you and/or your team will receive bags, gloves and a zone assignment. At the end of your shift, please return any leftover bags to the tent, and remember to sign-out for your shift. It is important to stay hydrated! Snacks and water, as well as first-aid items, are always available at the tent. Please remember to bring your own water bottle!